[lbo-talk] Evolutionary theory is tautological

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Dec 22 13:14:16 PST 2005

Wojtek wrote:

>As I already said in a previous posting, the idea of evolution of species
>involves two logically separate concepts or processes if you will: the
>appearance of new life forms, and disappearance of the old ones. The
appearance of new form is explained solely by genetic mutations, whereas the disappearance is explained by natural selection....

This is to ignore the fact that many extinctions of species were caused not by "natural selection" but by evolutionarily random large-scale catastrophe. The disappearance of the dinosauria is a now generally accepted instance. Far more recent is the experience of the American continent, where perfectly adapted horses, camels, and elephants (but not bisons) were all wiped out.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos