[lbo-talk] racist column in the Daily News

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Dec 22 18:23:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Julio Huato wrote:

> Apparently, in his younger years, [Roger Toussaint] was a social fighter
> in Trinidad.

Also, fwiw, while we're talking about his background, his half-brother is Arnold Rampersad, an English professor out at Stanford, known mainly for his work on Langston Hughes and the Harlem Renaissance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/nyregion/nyregionspecial3/17toussaint.html

<quote>

A half-brother, Arnold Rampersad, is a literary scholar and biographer of Langston Hughes. "He could have been a scholar too, but he decided to do something useful with his life," joked Dr. Rampersad, a professor in the humanities at Stanford University. "Although he's younger than me, he's someone I've always admired because of his temperament, seriousness and commitment to social causes."

<unquote>

Rest of the NYT mini-bio at: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/nyregion/nyregionspecial3/17toussaint.html

Michael