[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 23 07:13:48 PST 2005

Bill Bartlett wrote:

>So this is the doctrine of pre-emptive execution then? The other
>danger is that people might be frightened to challenge the herd
>mentality and it will all get very boring and predictable. You might
>want to consider having some kind of policy that strikes a balance
>between disruptive abuse and repetition of the party line, rather
>than making arbitrary decisions on a whim.

I do. There is no party line. But I've seen many of the likes of SD before, chip on shoulder, and flamethrower at side. Once an asshole like that gets started, he becomes the topic of conversation.

There's a wide variety of opinion here - all of it left of center, for sure, but within that, anything but a herd mentality. People criticize me all the time, often harshly and though that bruises my ego, which much prefers adulatory stroking, I don't even think of putting a stop to it.

Doug