[lbo-talk] Evolutionary theory is tautological

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 03:41:12 PST 2005

--- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote: I would characterize it as a battle between science - which asserts a radical skepticism as the first precept - and religion - which holds hierarchical causality as the first precept.

boddi ---

The conflict between a view of the world that sees order as arising immanently within the world and one that sees it as being imposed upon the world from outside goes back AT LEAST to Aristotle, on the one hand, and Plato, on the other. It predates "science" in the modern sense of the term by some time. And religion does not necessarily hold hierarchical causality as the first precept. How is the Big Bang not an instance of hierarchical causality anyway?

I remember at some point in Dragons of Eden Carl Sagan expressing embarrassment at the fact that both the Big Bang and Steady-State models of the universe were quite similar to basic cosmological myths. ;)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com