[lbo-talk] Evolutionary theory/Gravitation

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Dec 25 07:04:17 PST 2005

<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PSR_B1913_plus_16&action=edit>

> )
>
> as to general relativity and the notion of a force, many physicists
> are
> fond of the expression "tidal interaction" or "tidal force" for
> gravity's action. this in honor of the observation that although
> free
> fall in space makes us feel weightless, body parts closer to earth
> are
> pulled away from body parts farther away from the earth's center. in
> similar fashion, body parts seperated spatially but equidistant from
> earth's center are pulled closer together. the ocean's tides are a
> prime
> example of this effect. it is this tidal effect which is central to
> GTR.
> the notion that there is no gravity force because everything just
> falls
> freely in curved space-time is only one piece of the puzzle. a much
> clearer way to visualize GTR is to take an initially spherical cloud
> of
> mases and let them free-fall. watching the distortion of the
> spherical
> geometry gives a nice picture of the curved spacetime near massive
> objects. [if jks took relativity with Wheeler, he's heard all about
> this.]
>
> by the way, Nature on Wednesday published a paper that verifed
> E=mc^2 to
> several parts in 10 million (a factor of 55x over the previous
> accuracy
> winner, electron/positron annhilation experiments). in the same
> issue,
> Freeman Dyson discusses S. Chandrasekhar theory of the death of
> "heavy"
> stars (stellar astrophyics plus general relativity plus QM) and Ed
> Witten waxes prophetic on string theory, with, however, a caveat on
> unified theories:
>
> In fact, there are ample reasons why one might doubt whether
> Einstein's vision is achievable, or at least achievable in the
> foreseeable future. Crucial clues may be hopelessly out of reach.
> When looking back at Einstein's own work, most physicists would
> say
> that many of the most important clues for a unified field theory
>
> involving strong and weak nuclear interactions, the role of gauge
> theory and the world of elementary particles — were simply not
> known
> in Einstein's day.

And Einstein thought that a unified field theory would take the form of a classical field theory, not unlike Maxwell's electrodynamics or Einstein's own theory of general relativity, rather than a quantum field theory. In fact it was Einstein's hope that a unified field theory would supersede quantum mechanics, which he had always disliked as a physical theory. However, as the theory of electroweak unification showed, a unified field theory, if one is possible, will almost certainly take the form of a quantum field theory.