[lbo-talk] Message Boards, mailing lists and organising discussion

Julian Gollop gollop at bol.bg
Thu Dec 29 02:32:36 PST 2005

Hello all, This is my first post to the LBO mailing list! So, firstly, I would like to thank Doug Henwood for making this possible. The quality of the debate here is refreshing. I am a Brit, who has just moved to Bulgaria. In the past, I have been expelled from one Trotskyist organisation, and left another before the inevitable occurred, but that’s another story. I feel a little bit adrift, but otherwise I am wiser and more humble.

The subject I want to discuss is a practical one. How best to organise discussions? I think that public message boards (web based boards such as phpbb) work better than mailing lists, and I would definitely recommend this for LBO discussions. The advantages are that it is easier to organise discussions, make them publicy viewable, and avoids individuals hogging discussions (it is easier for the viewer to select which discussions to read and avoid). However, there are also disadvantages. Running a message board requires more management and organisation. On the plus side, there are better tools for managing discussions, such as limiting posts, filtering language, etc.

I have run a message board for several years (not politics related) and it has been a very interesting experience. I have relied very much on volunteers to act as administrators, and we developed good working methods. It worked very well, and we successfully dealt with a period of attack (flaming) from a concerted hostile group. This was a sobering but valuable experience.

Although I haven’t done extensive research, it appears that the Left in general has been very poor at using the internet for organising discussion and debate. For an illustrative example, compare the well organised stormfront bulletin board ( http://www.stormfront.org/forum) to the lamentable Znet discussions boards ( http://forum.zmag.org/~Public1).

Joolz.