[lbo-talk] Message Boards, mailing lists and organising discussion

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Thu Dec 29 10:18:05 PST 2005

At 05:32 AM 12/29/2005, Julian Gollop wrote:
>Hello all,
>This is my first post to the LBO mailing list!
>So, firstly, I would like to thank Doug Henwood for making this possible.
>The quality of the debate here is refreshing.
>I am a Brit, who has just moved to Bulgaria. In the past, I have been
>expelled from one Trotskyist organisation, and left another before the
>inevitable occurred, but that's another story. I feel a little bit adrift,
>but otherwise I am wiser and more humble.
>
>The subject I want to discuss is a practical one. How best to organise
>discussions? I think that public message boards (web based boards such as
>phpbb) work better than mailing lists, and I would definitely recommend
>this for LBO discussions. The advantages are that it is easier to organise
>discussions, make them publicy viewable, and avoids individuals hogging
>discussions (it is easier for the viewer to select which discussions to
>read and avoid).
>However, there are also disadvantages. Running a message board requires
>more management and organisation. On the plus side, there are better tools
>for managing discussions, such as limiting posts, filtering language, etc.
>
>I have run a message board for several years (not politics related) and it
>has been a very interesting experience. I have relied very much on
>volunteers to act as administrators, and we developed good working
>methods. It worked very well, and we successfully dealt with a period of
>attack (flaming) from a concerted hostile group. This was a sobering but
>valuable experience.
>
>Although I haven't done extensive research, it appears that the Left in
>general has been very poor at using the internet for organising discussion
>and debate.
>For an illustrative example, compare the well organised stormfront
>bulletin board
>(<http://www.stormfront.org/forum>http://www.stormfront.org/forum) to the
>lamentable Znet discussions boards
>(<http://forum.zmag.org/~Public1>http://forum.zmag.org/~Public1).
>
>Joolz.

Hi Joolz! Welcome. It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't switch from the format to the other. I like threading the disucssion. I like having it right here on my hard drive to archive with a single click, etc. etc.

That's just me though. I know others who feel the same.

Personally, I happen to think that blogs and discussion forums aren't conducive to community -- though that's not a claim that e-mail lists are. The beer cup is empty!

http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/11/30/the-beer-cup-is-empty/

AT any rate, glad you've subscribed! If there's anything I can do to help you advertise a new forum or find inexpensive hosting space, let me know. I have some leads.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org