[lbo-talk] prostitution vs. the dole

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 1 07:19:02 PST 2005

Doug quoted:
> Telegraph (London) - January 30, 2005
>
> 'If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your benefits'
> By Clare Chapman

I am not sure to what degree the Telegraph sensationalizes this case, but if the law is indeed as described in this story - one possible, and I believe potentially successful, legal challenge is that the said law discriminates against women, since men will not face a similar challenge. One way to go would be to have job centers ask male unemployed workers to accept jobs in gay brothels - I am pretty sure this would spark a swift response.

Wojtek