[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 1 08:53:57 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Jon Johanning wrote:

> What I wanted to suggest, but most contributers to the thread seem not to
> have noticed, is that music throughout most of human experience has been a
> performance art, a social event with a profound communal significance. To
> some extent, it remains so. What rock fan would give up going to concerts,
> and would accept recorded rock as the equivalent of the experience of being
> there?

Two words, baby: Sgt. Pepper. The recording studio is an art medium; you can do creative stuff in the studio that cannot be accomplish live. I agree that live music is cool, but recorded music isn't just a pale facsimile of the real thing, it's a related but different art form. --Early Beatles rocking out in Hamburg? Excellent. Beatles manipulating tape loops in the studio for "Tomorrow never knows"? Also excellent.

Miles