[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

gboozell at juno.com gboozell at juno.com
Tue Feb 1 08:27:06 PST 2005

-- Jon Johanning <zenner41 at mac.com> wrote:

>What I wanted to suggest, but most contributers to the thread seem not
>to have noticed, is that music throughout most of human experience has
>been a performance art, a social event with a profound communal
>significance. To some extent, it remains so. What rock fan would give
>up going to concerts, and would accept recorded rock as the equivalent
>of the experience of being there?

I'm not sure that listening to an album is the equivalent of "being there", but certainly one of the notable accomplishments of 60's pop music was establishing the record album as a distinct art form - due partially to the inability of artists to reproduce the sound of a studio album live. You know, the Beatles "Rubber Soul" and "Sgt. Pepper." Plenty of other examples too.

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com