[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 09:36:25 PST 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:27 AM, gboozell at juno.com wrote:

> I'm not sure that listening to an album is the equivalent of "being
> there", but certainly one of the notable accomplishments of 60's pop
> music was establishing the record album as a distinct art form - due
> partially to the inability of artists to reproduce the sound of a
> studio album live. You know, the Beatles "Rubber Soul" and "Sgt.
> Pepper." Plenty of other examples too.

Yes, one could argue that that is a distinct form of art from live music performance. Similarly, advances in technology have created films as a development of traditional theater, photography as a development of painting, and -- possibly -- DJ'ing as a further development of recording. (I don't know much about the DJ scene at all.)

I admit that I was limiting myself earlier in considering recording merely as a means of preserving live performances, and not as an art in itself. The remarkable thing about humans is their ability to constantly generate new forms of art as possibilities for doing so are invented, starting with the Paleolithic cave paintings and carvings.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile