[lbo-talk] self-exploitation or self-interest?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Feb 1 15:27:25 PST 2005

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Housing co-operatives are somewhat different, they require capital. The
> little housing co-op that I'm a member of, only has 5 houses and most of
> its capital comes from government funding. Took a long time to get even
> to this modest stage and funding for co-ops is even harder to get now,
> despite the fact that tenant self-management is far and away the most
> cost-efficient way of delivering low income housing.

If anybody is interested in starting a cooperative housing project, I just found a very good resource which covers almost everything you need to know (albeit with a bias for American situations).

I've written about cooperative housing in the past. I recently started a project with comrades here in Kansas City to buy an apartment building which we will turn into a co-op. I'm sure I will be posting some updates about this project on my blog as we progress.

Chuck