[lbo-talk] Re: God's humor

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 3 13:04:00 PST 2005

Dear List:

Chris writes:

> Off the top of my head the only American writers
I can think of as having much to say in the "profundity" department are Edgar Allan Poe, Faulkner, Ezra Pound and Flannery O'Conner, and one of those was a wanna-be Frenchman.

I'll agree with Faulkner and O'Connor. Poe was nice when I was a teenager and Pound I never got.

I would also nominate: Herman Melville, Edith Wharton, Gore Vidal, William S. Burroughs, James Baldwin, Thomas Pynchon, Willa Cather, Ralph Ellison, John Cheever, Thomas Berger, and William James.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister