[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 3 13:25:16 PST 2005

>Churchill is an asshole who hurts the cause he claims to champion by
>perpetuating the very disease he claims to hate. He spews his venom on
>"Americans as a whole" and pooh-poohs those who get steamrolled and
>dismissed in the process. He also praises Al Qaeda and denies that they are
>Islamic wackos.
>
>I support Churchill's right to say what he wants, but he is an embarrassment
>and a detriment to the left. I repudiate him and his childish,
>self-defeating posturing. It IS a scandal that the University of Colorado
>put him in charge of an academic department. He is not a scholar.
>
>Michael Dawson

Not a Scholar? Have you read the mans work? "Fantasies of the Master Race: Literature, Cinema, and the Colonization of American Indians", "Cages of Steel: The Politics of Imprisonment in the United States", and "Culture versus Economism: Essays on Marxism in the Multicultural Arena" among many others are excellent works. I do think he fucked up a bit with the essay discussed for the reasons I've already stated but to call the man non-scholarly and childish is to demonstrate a complete lack of familiarity with his work. He is very controversial and abrupt but not hate filled as his critics claim. I think he requires somewhat careful reading and it is easy to misread him if you skim through his words quickly. He is far from an embarrassment and a detriment to the left. We are damn lucky to have him.

I am going to assume you have not actually read one of his books as I don't believe you would have written the above if you had. Please pick one of the above titles to read and I guarantee you will not be sorry. I'll apologize if I'm wrong and you've read more than an essay of his to come to you conclusions about him you hold but I think that unlikely. Based on previous posts of yours I would have assumed you would find his writing amazing and rewarding. Am I that bad a judge of such things? The man is genuinely insightful and thought provoking. That is why this episode is as painful as it is.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0505-1, 02/02/2005 Tested on: 2/3/2005 3:25:28 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com