[lbo-talk] Re: Gays Excluded From Auschwitz Commemoration

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 3 13:36:50 PST 2005

Dear List:

Woj is so right. Europeans are so much more enlightened than Americans. How could I not see it?

"Poland's European Parliament members immediately protested against the list of Auschwitz victims, where gays preceded Poles. Polish deputy Wojciech Roszkowski told the Brussels body: "The life of every human is equally important, but when we speak of big numbers, putting the Jewish, Roma, homosexual and Polish victims together borders on the absurd." Poland's largely chauvinistic and homophobic media echoed the protest. In the final text of the resolution approved by the European Parliament, gay victims were placed at the end of the list. At this week's ceremony at Auschwitz, on Polish soil, gay victims were not mentioned at all."

The rest at:

http://www.thegully.com/essays/gaymundo/050203_gay_auschwitz.html

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister