[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 3 13:50:56 PST 2005

> The hounding of Ward Churchill is nothing short of real McCarthyism, with
> the sole qualifier that "McCarthyism" is itself something of a misnomer
> (since red-baiting, including in academia, predated McCarthy). They're
> starting with Churchill because he's an easy target, having really said some
> egregious and stupid things -- I thought his writings on September 11, when
> I read them long ago, were a juvenile and silly throwback to his Weatherman
> background, not to mention that they reflected poorly on his much better
> work (e.g., his documentation of COINTELPRO repression). All of that,
> however, is quite beside the point. I may argue with left-adventurists --
> vigorously, even -- but seeing them getting hounded from their jobs is
> alarming, to put it mildly.

And it's sort of interesting that nobody makes a big deal about Netanyahu's remarks right after 9/11: "It's very good...Well not very good, but it will generate immediate sympathy."

http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5388

"It's very good"?? If Chomsky or someone had said "It's very good...well not very good, but it will heighten awareness of the consequences of US foreign policy", the "It's very good" would have been recycled endlessly.