[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Feb 4 17:12:46 PST 2005

> [T]hose who wish to
> retaliate against US imperialism may have as little use for laws of
> war, humanitarian laws, the Geneva Conventions, and so on as
> Washington has.

True. And they would be exactly as wrong as Washington is. And that's the point both you and Churchill deny.

What am I supposed to apologize to you for? You wrote in and said you disagree with Churchill, but how so? You say disagreement with his immorality is merely a matter of demonstrating one's "delicate sensibilities," and that we only get off the hook "we" made for ourselves insofar as we stop imperialism now. How does that differ from what Churchill says?

> Stopping US imperialism is not only our moral and
> political obligation -- our very survival is at stake.

Of course, but it is not our only obligation. If we don't labor to maintain principles of justice and human dignity and solidarity and sympathy, we will not stop anything. People aren't stupid. They're not going to rebel in the name of simple revenge, especially when they are asked to do so in a stupid and hopeless manner.