[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Feb 4 23:34:46 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I read some of the AIM stuff Pug posted links to. Sounds like Churchill
> is a hothead, a self-promoter, and maybe an asshole. But we all know
> lots of people like that, and we'd never call them cops. Streng verboten!

Doug and list: I'm very angry and alarmed at Michael Pugliese's actions in forwarding that information to this list. I know that you and many of the others are angry about words that have been exchanged on this list in recent days. Some of the stuff said to me is tame compared to Pugliese's forwarding of this inflammatory material to this list. Since he has a habit of doing this kind of thing, I think we should ask him to either explain himself or issue an apology to the list.

I'm not going to go into all of the details, but these materials come from a rather nasty feud happening within Native American circles. I had the misfortune several years ago of trying to stop zealots involved in this dispute from spamming this material to Indymedia websites. At one point I was almost physically assaulted by one of the partisans involved in this bitter feud. I learned from my mistake, but I have to point out that Pugliese's actions are dangerous for several reasons. This material has been posted here out of a much bigger context that involves this feud. This material is an outright effort to inflame discussion on this list and UNDERMINE much-needed solidarity for Ward Churchill AND OTHER RADICAL ACADEMICS. If somebody like, for example, Yoshie, was under fire from right wingers and the mainstream media, I would expect an outcry if somebody posted materials to this list about a fight between her and some organization. This stuff is off topic, out of context, disruptive, and furthers the agenda of the right wing, which is *actively* using this material to divide the left.

We need unity right now, not rumor-mongering and gossip!

Chuck