The Art of Political Lying (was Re: [lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 12:41:29 PST 2005

At 02:40 PM 2/5/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Yeah, as Michael Thomas once put it, if you're going to go after someone,
>you go after what they feel proudest about, not the weak spots. Horowitz
>probably thinks he's important, so that's what to go after.
>
>Doug

From Friend Hitchens <http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/1985----.htm>

In his imperishable Treatise on the Art of Political Lying, published in 1714, Dr. John Arbuthnot laid down a standard for falsifiers and calumniators that has yet to be excelled:

Detractory or defamatory lies should not be quite opposite to the qualities the person is supposed to have. Thus it will not be found according to the sound rules of pseudology to report of a pious and religious prince that he neglects his devotions and would introduce heresy; but you may report of a merciful Prince that he has pardoned a criminal who did not deserve it.

ALSO, thanks to everyone who's provided feedback, crits, trashings, etc. etc. I appreciate it -- and I"m working on the mac/safari/firefox problem. *sigh* I _knew_ there'd be a problem.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling