[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 11:45:34 PST 2005

> From what I can figure, Horowitz's achilles heel is his big ego. He has a
> big chip on his shoulder about his legacy, which accounts for all of his
> attacks on Noam Chomsky. Horowitz understands that Chomksy will be
> remembered centuries from now, whereas he won't even merit a footnote.
>
> Chuck

Just before the Blackout of '03 fried my hard-drive, I had, perhaps, a week-long email exchange with Horowitz (which came out of my Hitch piece for City Pages). He does have a big ego, but it's very fragile, and based on our little debate, he seems to have some emotional issues that are far beyond my level of expertise. He's remarkably easy to out-argue, simply because he's wrong, but he has this weird desire to be accepted, if that's the right word, by the left. He's a vulnerable, angry guy who's loaded with Olin's cash and, as he put it to me, "donations" made by old women who feel he speaks for them (?). Apart from dealing with the financial disparity, Horowitz isn't that hard to handle.

DP