[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

philion at stolaf.edu philion at stolaf.edu
Sat Feb 5 20:35:08 PST 2005

"What is so outrageous about Cooper's comments?"

He pretends that what Churchill has said is more outrageous than numerous similar such arguments made by his 60's hero Marcuse about the complicity of the technocratic elite in empire. He's very sensitve about this, Mr. Cooper. Only an hour after I posted a passage by Marcuse that sounded similar to the sentiments of Churchill on the passivity of the modern individual in the face of the violence of advanced industrial capitalism, poof it was deleted!

And I have no idea what you mean Nathan when you say, "people who blame the US". That phrase has about as much meaning as "people who blame God"...I have no idea what they are referring to... Do you mean people who blame capitalism? or the military industrial complex? or US foreign policy? global inequality?...how far do we go with not being allowed to explore the role of these factors in the 911 tragedy? We're left to pretty narrow psychological levels of explanation if so.. Steve