[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 6 10:40:38 PST 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

> The problem is that you see no hatefulness in telling families that they
> have no right to justice because their dead loves ones -- many of them
> working class, many lower-level administrativestaff - were "imperialists."
> This indifference to suffering of those families by that sector of the left
> was what alientated lot of people from the antiwar movement.

Nathan, can you back up your claim that any of this has "alienated" people from the anti-war movement? I suspect that you have no evidence, because your arguments are the same old liberal attempt to control the free speech of radicals. This is the same thing as when the Democrats and ABB progressives warned radicals "not to do anything at the RNC that would throw the election to Bush."

As we saw, the Democrats threw the election to Bush years in advance by selecting a bad candidate.

Ward Churchill does not owe the families of the 9/11 victims any kind of apology, nor should he be required to qualify his arguments to toe the national patriotic line. I don't hear any of the critics of Churchill on this list qualifying their attacks on Churchill by saying that they respect what has happened to his people. The thing is that Churchill, as an academic and intellectual, has the responsibility to be critical and say things directly. It's absurd to assume that Churchill has to adopt the rhetorical equivalent of slapping some goddamn "support the troops" ribbon on some damn SUV to show one's support for the 9/11 families. The 9/11 families are some some goddamn shrine that one is required to pay homage to. If more Americans took Churchill's arguments to heart and made a serious effort to NOT be "little Eichmanns," then perhaps we could avoid having anymore 9/11 attacks in the future.

If Americans don't get off their asses and dismantle this government and its perpetual war machine, a lot more chickens will come home to roost!

Chuck