[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 6 11:00:04 PST 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>I don't hear any of the critics of Churchill on this list qualifying
>their attacks on Churchill by saying that they respect what has
>happened to his people.

By "respect" I presume you mean condemn, which I do. And one of the reasons I think his screed was unfortunate is that it's made it more difficult to condemn the horrid treatment of American Indians.

>If more Americans took Churchill's arguments to heart and made a
>serious effort to NOT be "little Eichmanns," then perhaps we could
>avoid having anymore 9/11 attacks in the future.

And calling them little Eichmanns means they'll ignore you or punch you out, so you'd better refine the rhetorical strategy.

>If Americans don't get off their asses and dismantle this government
>and its perpetual war machine, a lot more chickens will come home to
>roost!

Maybe not. Maybe war and repression will work, and the American public will support it as protecting their lives.

Doug