[lbo-talk] Right on Mr. Churchill part 1

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 6 11:01:17 PST 2005

>Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
>>On the other hand, let's not kid ourselves that most of our `jobs' are
>>in fact devoted to supporting and promulgating the evil Empire and its
>>neoliberal capitalist pig hegemony---mine included (when I was still
>>working). That's what `jobs' tend to be in the Empire.
>
>Ok, so what are we supposed to do about this? Stop working? Find
>some niche to hide in and feel superior to everyone else? Maybe
>hound the others, make them feel guilty for being unreflective cogs,
>and end up making them hate your politics? Hope that someone blows
>you up? Shrug and say, "We're all guilty, so what can I do?" and go
>about your business? Ward Churchill gets a paycheck from the state
>of Colorado - does that make him guilty too? I don't get what you
>do with this sort of argument.
>
>Doug

To answer that question, we have to get away from the rubric of "guilt" and "innocence," i.e., thinking that those who work for the Empire are "guilty" and those who don't are "innocent."

Instead, we should think about our positions strategically, i.e., calculating what power and leverage they afford us. Those who make the Empire work, especially those whose jobs are truly crucial for its smooth operation, have powers to help roll back the Empire, individually and collectively.

Individually, you can, for instance, be a whistle-blower, exposing the Empire's deeds to the public. Take Daniel Ellsberg, for instance. Or Spec. Joseph Darby. When you see what is morally unacceptable, you have an obligation to inform the public, so the public can act on their knowledge.

Or you can choose not to enforce unjust laws. Or enforce laws in a way that is generous and merciful, when you have discretion: e.g., "The immigration laws provide a variety of forms of potential relief from removal ranging from simple grants of voluntary departure to complex waivers of deportation or removal. All such forms of relief, however, are granted or denied within the Immigration Judge's discretion" (<http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/sibpages/har/definitions.htm>).

Collectively, workers can organize strikes, sabotages, and other forms of direct actions. E.g., members of the 343rd Quartermaster Company who defied an order to go on a "suicide mission" in Iraq. They may organize direct actions simply out of their own self interest, e.g., not wishing to risk their lives unnecessarily, like the aforementioned soldiers. They may do so to support their fellow workers abroad. Or they may do so to achieve a larger political goal of bringing about social change at home. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>