[lbo-talk] Some Debt Is Too Big to Be Repaid (Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 6 11:50:32 PST 2005

Doug wrote:

>Chuck0 wrote:
>
>>I don't hear any of the critics of Churchill on this list qualifying
>>their attacks on Churchill by saying that they respect what has
>>happened to his people.
>
>By "respect" I presume you mean condemn, which I do.

There is no practical equivalence between failing to condemn the 9/11 terrorist attacks and failing to condemn the American genocide of Indians, though. No one has lost his job or reputation by refusing to condemn, even failing to acknowledge, the American genocide. And no one probably will in the foreseeable future.

>And one of the reasons I think his screed was unfortunate is that
>it's made it more difficult to condemn the horrid treatment of
>American Indians.

Why is that? Even if Churchill's 9/11 essay made you want to repudiate all his prior work, it is not the case that Churchill is the only scholar who has documented and indicted the American Holocaust. By now, there are hundreds and thousands of books, articles, pamphlets, etc. on that topic, for scholarly to popular audiences.

In any case, it is indeed difficult to condemn "the horrid treatment of American Indians" -- not because of Churchill's essay, but because of the magnitude of the irreparable damage. It is too late to condemn it for 98% of Indians, for they are already exterminated. Some debt is too big to ever be fully repaid, which is what I think Churchill wanted to say at the end of his 9/11 essay: "No matter what its eventual fate, America will have gotten off very, very cheap. The full measure of its guilt can never be fully balanced or atoned for" (at <http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill.html>). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>