[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Feb 6 16:55:44 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: <philion at stolaf.edu>

-Except as I remember it people like Doug didn't agree with your support of -the bombing of civilians in Yugoslavia by Mr. Clinton. Are you saying that -all people who disagreed with the bombing campaign/war against Yugoslavia -were as uncaring about human rights as you believe. Or is it possible they -didn't believe that the US was bombing Yugoslavia to help the Kosovars to -begin with?

I was specifically talking about the ANSWER-led antiwar movement (which Chuck was specifically identifying as doing wonderful work during the Kosovar war), who didn't just express fears of the US doing more harm than good, but actively praised Milosevic as a resister of imperialism and continued to defend him at the International Criminal Court. I think it was a problem that a lot of the rest of the left did not either support intervention or more actively promote a better alternative, but at least they weren't cheerleading Milosevic.

And what was the wonderful imperial gain from the Kosovar war in your mind? Does replacing Milosevic with elected governments in both Serbia and Kosovo now give us access to their abundant oil fields? (oh yeah, I forgot, the war was fought to gain control of a gold mine in Kosovo, as I remember the ANSWER propaganda of the time). Things are not perfect today, but compared to the mid-90s, both Serbia and Kosovo are freer and democratic.

-- Nathan Newman