[lbo-talk] the barbaric western practice of male circumcision...

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 06:08:15 PST 2005

There is a big difference. Male circumcision does not remove or,s o far as I can tell, even reduce, the man's capacity to orgasm. We do just fine, thanks. So, Joanna, don't feel too bad for your son. He'll be just fine.

By contrast, "female circumcision" is anti-orgasmic by design. The research indicates that the vast majority of women, I think the figure is in the 80% range, require clitoral stimulation to orgasm. Some can attain vaginal orgasm through g-spot stimulation alone, but this is uncommon. So-called "female circumcision" is intended to reduce if not destroy women's capacity for sexual pleasure. It si not in the same ballpark.

Why would anyone have such a thing? In Sex & Reason, an extremely interesting book I recommend to anyone interested in human sexuality, Judge Posner hypothesizes that it is a device used in polygamous societies to reduce the likelihood that women will stray while lowering the costs of having to monitor the behavior of several wives. Polygamous societies are hard are women in lots of different ways.

jks