[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 7 13:25:41 PST 2005

Jon Johanning wrote:

> I'll give you a few quotes, which are admittedly not from the masters
> of the postmodernist school, but they're representative of what I have
> on hand and what I have consulted to form my (perhaps wholly
> misinformed) view of postmodernism,[clip]
>
> "Another [CLIP] In postmodernism, however, there are
> only signifiers.[CLIP]" -- Mary Klages

> "Postmodernism, on the other hand, argues [CLIP]." -- "Semiotics and the
> Deconstruction of Conceptual Learning" by J. L. Lemke [CLIP]

> From the Wikipedia page on postmodernism:
>
> "Postmodernism therefore has [CLIP]"

It would appear that all three of these writers are as innocent as is Jon of the nature of postmodernism; there is no evidence in the quotations that the writers themselves believed in the views they ascribe to postmodernism. On the basis of these quotes one would have to conclude that Jon himself is a "postmodern," since he makes statements _about_ postmodernism.

Carrol