[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 19:26:14 PST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It would appear that all three of these writers are as innocent as is
> Jon of the nature of postmodernism; there is no evidence in the
> quotations that the writers themselves believed in the views they
> ascribe to postmodernism. On the basis of these quotes one would have
> conclude that Jon himself is a "postmodern," since he makes statements
> _about_ postmodernism.

OK, so I don't know postmodernism from apple butter. Fine with me; since its proponents never seem to feel any obligation to their readers to write anything that makes sense, and any more or less intelligible secondary literature about it that I can find is dismissed by its friends and admirers, like Mr. Cox, as unrepresentative of it, why should I give a rat's posterior about it?

I conclude that it's all an elaborate hoax. (And the famous Sokal Affair only confirms that opinion, IMHO.) And since it seems to be of interest only to members of English Departments, and I have no interest whatsoever in what goes on in them, I'm washing my hands of the whole business. At least until someone can come up with an account of it in ordinary English which is guaranteed to be an authentic account of it. (If that's possible.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax