[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 18:14:34 PST 2005

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jon Johanning

I conclude that it's all an elaborate hoax. (And the famous Sokal Affair only confirms that opinion, IMHO.) And since it seems to be of interest only to members of English Departments, and I have no interest whatsoever in what goes on in them, I'm washing my hands of the whole business. At least until someone can come up with an account of it in ordinary English which is guaranteed to be an authentic account of it. (If that's possible.)

Postmodernism is simply not a unified intellectual theory/movement. Your misacriptions as to what 'it' consists of are part of the problem with making straw person arguments. What would you say if all the authors Sokal lambasts called themselves modernists? Would that mean modernism was a hoax? This is just a perfect example of academic name calling and the fetishizing of labeling disparate ideas and hypotheses; kind of like the endless proliferation of niches of 'rock' music as 'punk' 'progressive' etc. , nine times out of ten simply to cast aspersions and sneers. It's so..............high school.

Ian