[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 19:45:24 PST 2005

At 10:26 PM 2/7/2005, Jon Johanning wrote:

At least until someone can come up with an account of it in ordinary English which is guaranteed to be an authentic account of it. (If that's possible.)

They can't give an objective account of it -- cause it's all perspectival! *grin*

I agree, though, that those excerpts (and I only skimmed) don't seem to be fair representations of postmodernism/poststructuralism.

I _really_ like Richard Bernstein's work in _Beyond Objectivism and Relativism_ and _The New Constellation". He is exemplary when it comes to internal critique. That is, he takes the object of his criticism quite seriously, placing the authors in the best light possible and working from there. Another person you might enjoy reading is Brian Fay -- though I haven't read any of his latest stuff. His earlier work, _Social Theory and Political Practice_ and _Critical Social Science_ (I think that's the title) work from a pragmatist tradition, but he's heavily influenced by uh, uh, uh, (brain dead here -- the Brit school of philosophy Justin's buddy, John somethingorother) so he develop tight arguments. I suspect he was influenced by Justus Buchler in that regard. Dunno.

Anyhooty, if you're ever of a mind to read something readable, I'd recommend Bernstein (and Fay if he has more recent stuff addressing pomo) because I really think you'd enjoy them _and_ because Bernstein's work, IMO, has very practical applications to the very things we talk about -- political practice.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling