[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:02:53 PST 2005

At bottom, I'm not interested in Ward Churchill's essay, but I'd like to see leftists seriously confront and criticize the ideas on which Churchill builds his rhetoric, because they are widely shared ones.

(A) Benefits of the Empire

Americans in general benefit from and depend upon the exploitation, oppression, and impoverishment of many in the world, the conditions secured by Washington's military might.

(B) Guilt

Citizens and residents of the United States are guilty, by virtue of either their enjoyment of benefits of the empire or their consent to the empire's repression of others or both.

(C) Retributive Justice

The guilty deserve punishment.

In my opinion, all three ideas above should be criticized and rejected, but criticisms of the empire (as well as criticisms of Israel) are often couched in moral terms that partake of one or more of them. For the last several years, we have seen outpourings of books and articles critical of US imperialism (and Israel), but class analyses of the empire, especially ones that clarify American workers' positions in it (or ones that clarify Jewish workers' positions in Israel), are hard to come by, perhaps because of the waning of Marxism. That's a big problem we need to rectify. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>