[lbo-talk] Re: circumcision

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 8 10:57:53 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> Consider:
>> 1. The practices are accepted by, carried out by, and encouraged
>> by the vast majority of women in these societies.
>
> So was footbinding, no?

Yep, same kinda thing: in our view, a vile, sexist practice endorsed by women in the society. The point I'm trying to make is that women in these societies enthusiastically enforced the practices; that's just a social fact. (Perhaps I haven't been clear so far: I'm not making a moral argument here; I'm pointing out how difficult it is to make a moral argument about this stuff.)

Miles