[lbo-talk] Re: circumcision

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Feb 8 14:54:35 PST 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Yep, same kinda thing: in our view, a vile, sexist practice
> endorsed by women in the society. The point I'm trying to make
> is that women in these societies enthusiastically
> enforced the practices; that's just a social fact. (Perhaps
> I haven't been clear so far: I'm not making a moral argument
> here; I'm pointing out how difficult it is to make a moral
> argument about this stuff.)

C'mon Miles, this is tiresome. Conditioning is neither moral nor immoral. It just is.

Women are not born "enthusiastic" about footbinding, or breast enlargement, or clitoral mutilation, or high-heels, or anything. All this is learned behavior.

Now, there's learned behavior like basketweaving and learned behavior like clitoral mutilation. If you do not think it's possible to differentiate between the two, well then, no discussion is possible.

Joanna