[lbo-talk] "Normalizing" Genital Appearance (Re: circumcision)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:06:09 PST 2005

> > And there's no need for westrners to feel superior. We slice ourselves
>> up all the time, and we don't even have the excuse that we're five years
>> old and someone is doing it to us. Most of plastic surgery is equally
>> barbaric, and as I mentioned yesterday five female infants a day get
>> their clitorises cut off in the U.S. every day because some adult
>> decides they are too big.
>> > So, if you want to avoid cultural superiority, there's plenty to fight
>> on our own turf.
>> > Joanna
>
>Can you provide some data to support this? I used to work in a
>hospital and my recollection was that this was very rare. Admittedly
>I didn't work in maternity but I knew doctors and others who did and
>this just sounds wrong to me. Maybe things have changed that much in
>13 years?
>
>John Thornton

Total number of people receiving surgery to "normalize" genital appearance: one or two in 1,000 births

Source: Intersex Society of North America, "Frequency: How Common Are Intersex Conditions?" <http://www.isna.org/node/91> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>