[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 8 16:52:06 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> James Baldwin wrote, "As long as you think you're white, there's no
> hope for you." The same can be said about being American: "As long
> as you think you're American, there's no hope for you." The more
> national privileges you gain, the more class power you lose.

To some extent I think the perspective on "whiteness" is skewed a bit. Notice.

Dukakis was a presidential candidate.

Jackson was a _black_ presidential candidate.

Pynchon is a novelist.

Oates is a female novelist.

Toni Morrison is a black female novelist.

It wasn't the _white_ race that was invented. Whites are not a race. They are simply humans.

It was the Negro Race that was invented.

That's why attempts to create an entity called "white pride" never really succeeded, because it is not that a person is white but that he/she is _not_ black.

Carrol