[lbo-talk] privilege

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 07:28:08 PST 2005

Kelly:

> as long as you talking to the already converted....

Well, that's what I'm doing. :)

> I know you already know this, but there imagery
> here bothers me. It evokes the sense that
> heterosexist, ablist, racist oppression are
> secondary

Well, no, I reject that idea even more vigorously. Like I said, this is not just a matter of race or gender "dividing the working class." People of color are hurt more by racism, and women by sexism. Racism is the fault of whites and sexism is the fault of men, and both need to be combatted. Any "class struggle" that elides these crucial fault lines is also bound to fail, anyway.

I am loath to, er, "privilege" the analysis of one structure of oppression or another, but when I think about it I tend to see the struggle against white supremacy as "especially" central, by the way. At least, I think that's the case when we're talking about capitalism. It is ridiculous to think about an abstract "capitalism" separate from racism, since the two systems were born together and are -- I think -- coterminous. But that is a discussion for another day.