[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 10:42:42 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:37:16 -0500, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Part of the reason a "white pride" movement can't take off is that to use
> the term "white pride" would force white people to constantly "see" Black
> people. Whites prefer to forget about and not think about the existence
> of
> Black people, to treat them as "invisible".

Last Thursday walking across the parking lot of the King Soopers supermarket, Starbucks, etc. up the street here in Arvada, Co. (which has a mix of upper-middle, middle and older run down lower/working class houses, almost everyone here is white, Blacks, Latinos and Asians live closer to downtown Denver.), I saw three teenagers. One had on a, "White Pride, " t-shirt. If there had just been the one racist, I could have taken one of two approaches I've used in chatting up far rightists in the past. Either feign sympathy to draw him out, get an invite to the local white power cell or launch into a, "Race Traitor, " abolish the white race lecture. I did neither, just fumed. Walked to the Starbucks, ordered a grande mocha and proceeded to complain to the upper-class, early twentysomething Starbucks employees about what I'd just seen.

Then I started walking home. The Christian fundamentalist megachurch (they have three huge bldgs. there and two elsewhere) was releasing their kids from afterchool classes and daycare, tons of SUV's. The woman with the orange vest directing cars said to me, the Starbucks looked nice. Then I started to rant to her about the white pride teen. Her eyes grew wide and incredulous, "Oh, No Sir!"

The week before walking home from the other nearby King Soopers/K-Mart, across from the large soccer fields, a pick-up truck zoomed past. In the truck bed, a large Confederate flag w/ a sign, "Redneck."

A few yrs. ago, a white pride/supremacist music festival attracted 150 skinheads here, http://www.westword.com/issues/2002-07-25/news/feature.html Skin Deep Inside the Rocky Mountain Heritage Fest, Colorado's first neo-Nazi music festival. BY DAVID HOLTHOUSE

-- Michael Pugliese