[lbo-talk] South & North

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Feb 9 10:48:05 PST 2005

On reparations, Wojtek writes:
>1. It relies on stereotypy and the racist notions that all black and all
>whites uniforms and clearly defined groups. Without that notion, the whole
>concept falls apart like a house of cards. Clearly, not all whites were
>supporters of slavery and blacks were slaves, some of them were slave
>owners. Who should pay and who should receive? All "pure bread" whites and
>all "pure bread" blacks - is there is such a thing? How about those with
>biracial parents - should they receive only a portion of what 'pure bread'
>blacks get, and by the same token, pay only a portion of what "pure bread"
>whites pay?

This is a misunderstanding of the reparations demand as I've read about it, and I haven't read much. First, it's not individuals but institutions which would pay (think church and corporation). Second, it's not individuals but organizations/community structures which would benefit. How about starting by funding schools that African American children go to, for example. The goal is to free up some money which will give the owed--to group some resources to build and struggle. Right now, the organizations and infrastructure that serve African Americans are mostly starved for resources. Done right, reparations would not be a way of papering over class exploitation but of revealing it.

Jenny Brown