[lbo-talk] South & North

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Feb 9 19:15:34 PST 2005

Wojtek, since you're no US nationalist ignorant of the application of political concepts elsewhere, perhaps you'd qualify the use of the word reparations when you do these critiques in future, and indeed endorse the concept when applied to US companies that made profits from apartheid, against the desires of the South African people fighting apartheid. For that is what is at issue in our local - and in many global - debates: something that is indeed justiciable were the Alien Tort Claims Act to be taken more seriously by NY judges (the appeals process continues).

Jubilee South Africa had a similar debate with Iris Young when she visited Jo'burg a couple of years ago, by the way, about the two different ways of getting at reparations. I can't remember the exact lines of argument, and the way that a fantastic strategist like Dennis Brutus has linked the two causes (reparations for apartheid, and for slavery). But I suspect there are some good answers out there, if you google around, assuming that you want lbo-list members to have access to a balanced argument.

One key objective of the apartheid-profits reparations struggle, is to continue identifying ways to explain systemic underdevelopment and residual poverty, by way of identifying who won and lost. That's not something you'd object to, I hope.

Cheers, P.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>