[lbo-talk] Mikheil Saakashvili: Revival of trust with Russia vital for Georgia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 08:10:34 PST 2005

Feb 8 2005 12:23PM Mikheil Saakashvili: Revival of trust with Russia vital for Georgia

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili granted an interview to Natalia Kurarar, a special correspondent for Interfax Financial Information Agency, on January 24.

What ways do you see of settling disputes in Russian-Georgian relations?

A: I think a broad look should be taken at the existing contradictions. The main thing is - and I have said this many times - there are no anti-Russian sentiments in Georgia.

If in conditions of political problems we have managed to keep the warmth of human relations, it means these relations have a good future. I hope for the materialization of everything that we have spoken about many times with Russian President Vladimir Putin who has a perfect understanding of the specifics of our region and knows that we should meet each other half way.

In fact, there should be no problems. Russia will keep its positions in the region. There are no doubts about that. It is a great illusion that someone is ousting or driving Russia out of the region or that the Georgian side is creating any problems for it. Georgia would least of all want to be part of some of Russia's problems.

We are not a battlefield. We are a small country. We have our own interests and certain expectations. Nevertheless, we believe that these expectations and interests should be satisfied in the framework - and I want to stress this - of good Russian-Georgian relations. These relations simply cannot be replaced with anything else.

We are now drafting a framework agreement and looking forward to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's visit to Georgia. We have already had several good rounds of talks, one more will be held in Moscow. Certain specific questions still remain, but there are definitely no impossible matters. And there are no stumbling blocks in our relations except for our requirement that Georgia's territorial integrity be respected. We fully realize that Russia has its own interests in the region and that Georgia, in its policies, should take into account the big neighbor factor to the utmost. And we are ready to do so, naturally without forgetting our own interests either.

Do you expect any specific questions to be solved at your upcoming meeting with Mr. Lavrov?

A: If the framework agreement is prepared, and it has been in the making for several years already, then questions will be resolved related to anti-terrorist efforts and to cooperation on a number of pressing international as well as bilateral questions. In addition, the document contains provisions concerning the future of the Russian military bases remaining in Georgia and also solutions related to mutual travel.

Georgia has unilaterally dropped the visa requirement for Russians entering the country but Russia still uses the visa requirement with regard to Georgian nationals. I think that an understanding on canceling the visa requirement that was reached at the presidential level should be carried out into life.

I think that these specific problems should be removed without any unnecessary delay because we have lost much time as it is. I hope that changes for the better will become evident during the Russian foreign minister's upcoming visit to Georgia. We are ready for them.

Etc.

http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/exclusive/29.html?mode=9&title_style=exclus&others=2&id_issue=10747475

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!