[lbo-talk] Re: circumcision

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Feb 12 12:18:42 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, joanna bujes wrote:

> Respect for the integrity of the human body and compassion for those in pain
> is an essential aspect of any culture that would have any chance of survival.
>
> Joanna

I completely agree with your moral standards. Your claim that the moral standards we hold dear are universal seems obvious, and I wish it were true. However, historical and anthropological data clearly show that your claim is incorrect. Human cultures with wildly different notions of "compassion" and "integrity of the human body" have thrived for hundreds of generations.

(Perhaps this isn't a useful dialogue: it's kinda like an atheist and a Catholic debating the existence of God. I'll stop.)

Miles