[lbo-talk] Re: escape to canada

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Feb 14 21:12:57 PST 2005

Escape to Australia is looking more and more risky.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1302771.htm

France protests over Villawood detention bungle

By ABC Investigative Unit reporter Andrew Fowler

The French embassy has lodged a formal complaint with the Immigration Department after it failed to tell them a French tourist had been locked up at the Villawood detention centre in Sydney.

When Immigration officials suspected Mahamadou Sacko's passport was fake, they took him to Villawood but did not call the French embassy to verify his identity.

The latest detention centre mistake comes as Prime Minister John Howard said yesterday that he will consider apologising to a mentally ill Sydney woman, Cornelia Rau, who was held in detention for 10 months as a suspected illegal immigrant, once he receives a report into her case.

It took Mr Sacko two days to get in touch with the French embassy and he remained locked up in Villawood for four days.

"They're asking me if I want they call French embassy, I say 'ok, yes' [but] they didn't do," Mr Sacko told the ABC's Investigative Unit.

"Why not? They say is not their job for do that, if I want I must do by myself."

Mr Sacko sued the Immigration Department after his release from the detention centre and was paid $25,000 in compensation.

French embassy official Oliver Bove says it was the Australian Government's responsibility to contact the embassy.

"You see the international law, we must be notified when a French citizen is detained, whatever he has done or not done, and the Howard Government did not notify us," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1303085.htm

Greens identify new wrongful detention case

The Australian Greens have raised what they say is another case of wrongful immigration detention.

Greens Senator Kerry Nettle says her office has been told a Korean woman, who was visiting her boyfriend at a Victorian fruit farm, was detained at the Baxter detention centre for up to two weeks.

Senator Nettle says the latest case is in addition to a French tourist being wrongly held at the Villawood detention centre in Sydney, and mentally-ill Australian Cornelia Rau being detained as a suspected illegal immigrant for 10 months.

Senator Nettle says there needs to be an inquiry.

"The culture of lock them up, ask questions later is causing a tremendous flaw in the what this system is operating and we're not getting apologies," she said.