[lbo-talk] Churchill's complaint

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 15 10:14:39 PST 2005

At 10:33 AM 2/15/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>
>>In politics, it not only what you mean, it's
>>what you say, and even what you almost say.
>>By Churchill's classification, if some members
>>of this list happened to work in the WTC, they
>>would fall into the category of "little Eichmanns."
>>In the Spring before 9-11, I did a talk in the
>>WTC in front of a class taught by the very Marxist
>>Tom Dickins. We could have been LEs too.
>
>Yup. I talked to Tom's class several times in the WTC. My mother worked
>there (though she retired long ago). My upstairs neighbor was killed there.
>
>I almost said I'm surprised, then I thought again and realized I shouldn't
>be, that it's rarely noted in political discourse that those of us who
>were most directly affected by 9/11 - New Yorkers - are among the least
>bellicose in the U.S. From the first, there really wasn't much bellowing
>for revenge coming from the city that was hit. Most of it comes from a
>heartland that's never going to be hit by anything other than a tornado.
>The whole anti-terror thing is more about xenophobia and paranoia than
>self-defense.
>
>Doug

I've seen the numbers on this, so it's not that I don't believe the general trend. However, my experience right after 911 was that people in upstate NY--former colleagues at my alma mater, family and friends, and colleagues in New Jersey--were _very_ much in favor of invading Afghanistan. When we got in arguments on the list for friends of the department, people claimed that I just didn't understand because I was safe far away in LimpDick. Which was really funny: LimpDick is home to MacDill Airforce base!

I wonder if you were to do a map you'd find the strongest sentiments closer to the targets, yet not close enough to experience the horror directly. The other issues, which we've discussed before, is the blue/state red state phenom -- where antiwar sentiments are historically much higher in urban centers in general.

Anyway, another thing is that I'm wondering how a Freudian might explain this phenom. You call it paranoia -- but it seems something else to me. Or, maybe I'm just not well-versed enough in the psychodynamics that underpin paranoia from a Freudian perspective. Is Christopher Rhoades Dykema still on the list?

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling