[lbo-talk] Churchill's complaint

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Feb 15 12:42:43 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -I almost said I'm surprised, then I thought again and realized I -shouldn't be, that it's rarely noted in political discourse that -those of us who were most directly affected by 9/11 - New Yorkers - -are among the least bellicose in the U.S. From the first, there -really wasn't much bellowing for revenge coming from the city that -was hit. Most of it comes from a heartland that's never going to be -hit by anything other than a tornado. The whole anti-terror thing is -more about xenophobia and paranoia than self-defense.

Look, most of the warhawks don't care that New York was attacked in the specifics of actual human beings dying. They care that AMERICA was attacked and they want vengeance for it. Those in New York experienced a real attack with real casualties, so they actually have to worry about the consequences of stupid blundering foreign policies.

There are days I feel like putting a map of the US on my website with a big X on Crawford Texas to direct any terrorists away from New York City. No one in the Homeland Security department sure as hell cares about actually helping New York; they're defunding mass transit, one of the key vulnerable targets in the City and giving more money proportionately to Wyoming for security than to NYC. The administration just announced that they were converting their promises for economic relief for the city into funding for a nice high-speed train to JFK airport-- a nice benny for the wealthy jet set in the city even as the rest of the subway system rots and remains vulnerable.

It's all about symbolism, which is why the very non-symbolic deaths in NYC leads to less warhawk energy.

Nathan