[lbo-talk] SPIEGEL on Dresden

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:23:17 PST 2005

Carrol opined:
> The anti-war slogans are trite only in the same sense as is e=mc*2. And
> what is totally irrational is calling anti-war slogans trite. It is
> calling them trite, not in using them, that banality lies. If you jump
> in the water you will get wet. Trite? Perhaps. Also true. Of course it
> is beneath W., apparently, to specify _which_ anti-war slogans he
> considers trite. Why should superior beings like him bother to explain
> themselves.

Irrational - shmirrational. Anti-war slogans gain currency only if the US gets is ass kicked, as it happened in Vietnam. Otherwise, nobody gives two shits about them, triumphalistic belligerence is the motto of the day. That is why they are trite, or perhaps crocodile tears - like.

> The real puzzle is why anyone should think there is any difficulty at
> all in arriving at a judgment of Dresden.

I guess those who went through Auschwitz or Bergen-Belsen had no difficulty at all. They must have danced in the streets, as the bombs were falling. Hence the difficulty for those who care to see all sides of the picture.

Wojtek