[lbo-talk] US Losing The Tech Edge

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 07:49:07 PST 2005

--- Sujeet Bhatt <sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Enrollment in science and engineering classes at US
> universities dropped
> 10% for US citizens between 1994 and 2001, according
> to the report, but
> increased by 25% for foreign-born students.
>
> As a result, US institutions of higher learning are
> now awarding far
> fewer science and engineering degrees than its
> leading foreign competitors.

Assuming the above is true, has there been any research into why it would be so, like student's motivations for choosing one subject or the other?

It's been noted that computer science degrees have dropped off in the past couple years, and that would be no surprise.

I've wondered if increasing undergrad student debt would discourage people from going for the higher degrees needed to qualify for research jobs vs. trying to get a job straight out of college to pay down the debt.

Andy