[lbo-talk] US Losing The Tech Edge

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 11:19:36 PST 2005

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Sujeet Bhatt

Is this also part of the budgetary tug-of-war?

Sujeet

Yes and no. No, in the sense that the piece the article cites suffers from the vestigial mercantilism and cold war paranoia [Sputnik] that is the hallmark of the USG approach to technology transfer/diffusion. Yes, in the sense that the Alliance for Science and Technology in America will be lobbying for science pork and the usual Visa politics re engineers etc. It will be interesting to see in a year or two just how much the Bush administration has been a lousy salesperson for US exporters [Brand America], dollar decline notwithstanding. It's an established fact that the US simply under invests in R&D by a huge amount. The lbo-archives from early 2000 have the lit citations I gave on that score, iirc. We're an anti-intellectual society that suffers from self-inflicted education anxiety as evidenced in the notorious bumper sticker "My Kid Beat Up Your Honor Student." We're gonna pay for those contradictions in a big way...............