[lbo-talk] Re: polled while driving?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 09:30:09 PST 2005

[lbo-talk] Re: polled while driving? Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com

I trust that taste has evolved. The status symbols in 1992 were cheap knockoff t-shirts with Chanel, Gucci or Phuket on the chest. People also wore sunglasses with the little sticker left on the lens. The cool dudes drove Ladas with "sport" accessories and beaded seat covers. It's easy to notice status symbols in foreign cultures...

M.

Nowadays the cool guys drive foreign imports. (Bentley has a dealership in Moscow, you know -- that Moscow is crawling with Bentleys!) There's the ever-popular men's handbag. Young women all seem to want to look like Ksenia Sobchak. The short female sort-of butchy haircut is popular, died red or orange. Soviet symbols are chic on clothes. It boggles my mind the length of time Russian women spend trying to look attractive. But of course the undisputed king of the status symbol is the mobile telephone. It is virtually a cult. :) I know people who have spent their entire monthly salary on a mobile telephone. It's a way of signaling that you're in the middle class, even if you aren't.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!