[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:25:12 PST 2005

snit snat wrote:

> donkey dung. we don't understand provacateurs. thus, putting them in the
> same textual space as .....n, ..g, etc. isn't about understanding

Kelley, how much prior agreement do you need with others for it to be worthwhile to engage in debate with them?

One of my criteria is that I will not debate with anyone who ascribes motives to others in the debate. Those subject to that fatal error divide roughly into two groups. One of the groups (the majority) only commit this error some of the time; other times they respond to arguments rather than people.

Others simply do not know how to carry on a discussion without analyzing the motives of their opponents. These people belong in the category of those who are companions of Bertran de Born. I don't have time just now to look up which Canto of Dante's de Born occupies.

Carrol